Binary search : was Re: shilling for my feature request [1926]

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 23 11:06:06 EDT 2004

On Monday, August 23, 2004, at 08:02 AM, Alex Tweedly wrote:

> Are you all *sure* we don't need numeric-indexed arrays or
> numeric-indexed lists ?
>
> -- Alex.

I'm sure that if I get this as a feature upgrade, (see below) that I
will be able to get enough speed out of my apps that the user will not
notice the delay that exists now. As far as the need for the millions
of searches I would look into an external because that would be best
for that application's purposes.

"On Wednesday, August 18, 2004, at 03:10 AM, Mark Waddingham wrote:

> The one of most interest is the Boyer-Moore algorithm as this is
> reputed
> to be the fastest.
>
> So, one idea is to implement a function:
>   matchGlobal(stringToSearch, token)
> returning a list of all indices in stringToSearch of token.
>
> e.g.
> would give
>   it[1] = 1
>   it[2] = 10