Edit menu recipe?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Aug 22 18:47:42 EDT 2004

On 8/20/04 7:31 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Yes, in older, slower xTalks one might get a noticeable difference
> between "do" and the natural message path.
>
> But it's a whole other world with Transcript -- this script tests timing
> of both the natural message path and the "do" command:

<snip>

> So yes, using the do command is slower, but only by about 0.003ms.
>
> Given that the menu script is responding to a user action and no user
> will be faster than 0.003ms, there's no perceptable savings to the
> system's performance, but using do can offer immediate savings for
> developer productivity.

The "lost" productivity in the script I submitted consists of typing an
extra 5 words, which doesn't slow me down much.

Continuing the curmudgeonliness: I'll keep doing it my way, I think. I
am of the school that says loading the compiler unnecessaily is poor
programming practice. A similar example would be in using unquoted
literals; it works fine in many cases and doesn't really slow things
down that much, but I don't use use them because they too are a poor
habit to get into.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com