OT: Virtual PC vs "Real" PC

Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com
Sat Aug 21 10:21:11 EDT 2004

> Besides, VPC compared to VMWare is like a toy car compared to
> a real car. HP sells VPC as a virtual server now if this puts
> you in the picture. We use it a work to validate clusters and
> run experimental system installs. But vmware doesn't work on
> macs unfortunately.

If you primarily develop for x-plat on a Mac, I would say that having
VMware running on an additional x86 box would give you an excellent
testing area for multiple Rev supported operating systems. With VMware,
you can have multiple OS' running simultaneously, including various
flavors of Linux and WinXP, Win2K, WinMe, NT, bla bla bla. Basically
anything that was designed for X86 hardware. I have used VMware from
within Linux to run Windows Me, and there was practically no drop in
performance compared to booting directly into a native x86 OS. Of course
because you are running them simultaneously, you do have to share system
resources.

Roger Eller <roger.e.eller at sealedair.com