Simulating password entry

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Thu Aug 19 12:58:49 EDT 2004

Thanks to all who sent suggestions. Here's what I came up with (beware
line wraps):

global passwd

on keydown whichKey
   put word 2 of the selectedChunk of me into sChar
   put word 4 of the selectedChunk of me into eChar
   if eChar > sChar then -- some text is selected
     delete char sChar to eChar of me
     delete char sChar to eChar of passwd
   end if
   put word 2 of the selectedChunk of me into sChar
   put word 4 of the selectedChunk of me into eChar
   put whichKey after char eChar of passwd
   put numtochar(165) after char eChar of me
end keyDown

on backspaceKey
   put word 2 of the selectedChunk of me into sChar
   put word 4 of the selectedChunk of me into eChar
   if eChar > sChar then -- text is selected
     delete char sChar to eChar of me
     delete char sChar to eChar of passwd
   else
     delete char eChar of me
     delete char eChar of passwd
   end if
end backspaceKey

on deleteKey
   put word 2 of the selectedChunk of me into sChar
   put word 4 of the selectedChunk of me into eChar
   if eChar > sChar then -- text is selected
     delete char sChar to eChar of me
     delete char sChar to eChar of passwd
   else
     delete char eChar of me