bug reporting for 2.5B2

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Aug 19 11:18:13 EDT 2004

Kevin Miller wrote:
> On 19/8/04 4:32 am, "Sannyasin Sivakatirswami" <katir at hindu.org> wrote:
>>I was under the impression that all the bugs were fixed in 2.5B2...
>
> We have never stated that all bugs will be fixed in this, or any other
> release.  We have fixed the vast majority of the issues reported, which is
> what we set out to do.

Verified.

As an occassional contractor I get cc'd with notices of activity in
Bugzilla.  You'd be amazed at how many "fixed" notices fly by each week
-- some days I see more of those than I see spam. :)

Kevin's stated objective for v2.5 was to address a majority of
outstanding bugs.  This would normally be a tough metric, since new bugs
keep coming in while the others are being worked on (not to mention that
  few companies dare to publicly state bug-fix goals, and fewer choose a
goal so aggressive).

But even with that, by my count the team has far surpassed the 50% mark,
approaching 2/3 if I read the numbers correctly.  This is a big move
forward, esp. when viewed in light of the new features v2.5 offers:
industrial-strength encryption (opening up development opportunities in
banking, medicine, etc.), GTK appearance mangement (opening up
opportunites across the Linux frontier), and a bunch more.

So yes, there's still work to be done, and that work is being done with
the help of your reports posted to Bugzilla.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation