bug reporting for 2.5B2

Kevin Miller kevin at runrev.com
Thu Aug 19 10:13:00 EDT 2004

On 19/8/04 4:32 am, "Sannyasin Sivakatirswami" <katir at hindu.org> wrote:

> Not to whine too much but:
>
> I was under the impression that all the bugs were fixed in 2.5B2...

We have never stated that all bugs will be fixed in this, or any other
release.  We have fixed the vast majority of the issues reported, which is
what we set out to do.  No commercial software is bug free, that's
unrealistic.  Apple would never have shipped Mac OS X, Microsoft would never
have shipped Windows...

> So I reported a bug that continues to persist in 2.5B2:
>
> Drop file from finder on a field which traps the drop, not only returns
> the path to the file (intended behavior.. I use this all the time, all
> day long) but creates a field and posts the data from the file into the
> field.  so, if I get the path for a 80 mg psd file... rev tries to put
> all that binary data into the field. Crashes of course.

Are you sure you are using 2.5B2?  There is no script in B2 that does that,
its not an engine behavior, so check your scripts, or that you haven't
copied the old "plug ins" folder from a previous release.

> but then the man behind the run rev bugzilla mask responds
>
> "bug removed, already fixed... please check bugs before reporting?"
>
> ?? if its already fixed, then why is it still happening?
>
> I'm seeing LOTS of problems with 2.5.B2... it is certainly not ready
> for prime time. it would be a public relations disaster if it went out
> like this.  I worked in Rev IDE generally speaking 3 hours day in
> various projects... today I hit at least 8 major issues... non have
> been show stoppers except the above... some are scary though, like
> selecting a field and choosing the table under the properties pull down
> and having all the data in the field deleted and replaced with the data
> of a field  on another card in the same background that had been
> previously set to a table object... revert now! ;-( at least I had a
> way to back out.

And you reported this issue in Bugzilla complete with a recipe?  This list
isn't the right place for bug reports.

> And i like the one about opening a stack name
> "searchfiles.rev" and being told that "You already have a stack open by
> the name of "WebEditor-g4.rev... having two stack open in memory with
> the same name means you could lose some data...." aside from the
> erroneous report (the stacks are completley different) what happened to
> the purge option?

Read the dialog again.  The warning is new, it warns that you have two
substacks of the same name open.  We warn you but allow you to continue.
The Purge option is still there if you open two mainStacks of the same name.

> Then there's the metal stacks where all the objects
> on the face of the card simply disappear ?!  that's fun... resize
> window.. blink, they are back... that's fun and then there's the.....
>
> IMHO might it not be better to issue a release with the bugs fixed? so
> that we can freely report issues remaining without having to research
> what's been reported already.  I guess I misunderstood Kevin's
> description of B2 as "just a few crash issues remaining.." and the
> assumption all bugs reported has been fixed in B2. I just don't have
> time to check if each one was reported before. Ken's revZilla still not
> working right with fireFox cookies, and manual entry of the cookie log
> in and bugzilla number is not persistent.

We've been testing this release for several months now.  We've marked what
issues we have fixed in Bugzilla, which copies you when your issues have
been addressed.

Kevin Miller ~ kevin at runrev.com ~ http://www.runrev.com/
Runtime Revolution - User-Centric Development Tools