send message with parameter

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Aug 17 19:14:33 EDT 2004

On Aug 17, 2004, at 4:56 PM, Erik Hansen wrote:

>>> after trying all sorts of things like
>>> send "myHandler" && ("guy" & comma & i)
>>> which usually work,  i have settled on
>>> the Dar's Razor approach:
>>
>> I know you are settled, but...
>>
>>    put "guy" into gender
>>    send "myHandler gender, i" to ...
>
> so you do not like sending literals as
> parameters?
> this is IMPORTANT!

I'm lazy and don't want to have to keep up with quote.

Also, this allows me to read the command that I'm sending.

So, yeah, a safe style is to avoid non-number literals as parameters in
send.  Or maybe a lazy style.

Note that send is much like a 'do' and can even have a comment in the
handler spec.

Dar