A possible menu bug?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Aug 16 22:23:05 EDT 2004

On 8/16/04 5:24 PM, "Mark Smith" <mark at maseurope.net> wrote:

> I created a pulldown menu in RR 2.2.1 in Mac OS X. I chose an icon for
> it, and chose not to display it's name.
>   I set it's text to a list of choices. It's quite a long list, so what
> appeared to be the default font seemed a bit big. I changed it's font
> and text size in it's property inspector. This had no effect.
>   I found that if I unchecked "Show Border" in the "icons and border"
> pane of it's property inspector, it now displayed the menu as I wished
> ie. with the font and textsize I had set, however, now it showed a
> white rectangle instead of the fill colour inherited from the stack,
> and nothing I could do to change it's fill colour worked.
>
> I started over, and this time the fill colour problem didn't occur, but
> the funky business with the 'show border' property and font did.
>
> This might be two bugs for the price of one, or am I missing something?

Depends on how you look at it, Mark. ;-)

Actually what's happening is that as soon as the showBorder is turned on for
the button in OS X, it is now a Mac OS X "native" button and so retrieves
its information directly from the OS. This is the same as an option button
created in OS X - you can't change the font size, etc. because it is a
"native" button style. As soon as you remove the border, it is no longer a
native button and can be adjusted.

Personally, I think it's a bug - I believe you should be able to set
font/size/style regardless of being "native" or not, but at least it has a
reasonable (if not preferable, IMHO) explanation.

HTH,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/