Is this possible in RR?

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Mon Aug 16 14:03:04 EDT 2004

Hello Andre,

This point of vue is usefull too ;) Because i'm with Postgres as in
Sancho's 'Tiags, i forget, some times that any body don't need nor like
my second prefered shoes, after the Rev's ones, naturally ;D

With you, back to the previous proposal : Valentina as local DB and
Postgres as the remote centralisation's one. And in this way, as you
previously spoked about in the same thread, it will be usefull to take
care in about fine designing the ways the local to remote and the
remote to local updates will have to be handled...

Best, Pierre

Le 16 aožt 04, ˆ 18:40, Andre Garzia a Žcrit :

> On Aug 16, 2004, at 1:15 PM, Pierre Sahores wrote:
>

>>> You could also use PostgreSQL locally and save yourself some
>>> licensing costs.
>>
>> Why didn't i think at this. Tied, probably ;-!  Thanks, Frank for
>> pointing us in this direction ;)
>>
>> 100 times true, even for a newbie under MacOS X in getting the cool
>> Marc Liyanage's installer at
>>
>> <http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosxpostgresql>
>>

> Folks,
>
> beware that maybe, the end user is not inclined to mantain a
> PostgreSQL instalation on his home machine.  For example, a simple
> normal user wants to create a blog. He can use Movable Type which is
> great, but to use it, he need MySQL, Apache and PHP. The mac comes
> with apache and there are installer packages for PHP and MySQL at Marc
> Liynages page but the normal user will be intimidated by the proceess,
> and also, a RDBMS is not something that you leave unatended. The user
> might by fiddling with his system, prevent PostgreSQL to run at
> startup without even knowing that he did this, then when launching
> Paul app, the app will fail and the user will have no clue on what to
> do!!!
>
> Normal, plain users, the ones that just want to use a computer, not to
> understand a computer, should not be forced to install and mantain a
> complex thing like MySQL/PostgreSQL. I know the installers are pretty
> much forward, but I hope that I am being clear, it's like giving a 18
> wheel truck to a teenager who just got his car license and saying: "go
> to the bakery, bring me bread.". If the teenager is carefull enough,
> things will work out, but a single mistake...
>
> The big advantage of Valentina is that: there's no instalation
> proccess, there's no maintanance, in fact it will all be inside the
> mac bundle, he might not even see the vdb files. You'll spend $300
> now, but the chance that this will free you from hours of support and
> pain are very good, and you can always use it on other projects as
> well!
>
> Cheers
> andre
>
> PS: no, I don't have a Valentina license, I am saving for one or for
> SQLite.
>
> --
> Andre Alves Garzia ð 2004 ð BRAZIL
> http://studio.soapdog.org