Is this possible in RR?

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Mon Aug 16 12:15:07 EDT 2004

Le 16 août 04, à 16:38, Frank D. Engel, Jr. a écrit :

>>> Question: These records would typically be over 5000 animals with
>>> possibly 20 to 30 records each. Would I use a SQL database, XML,
>>> Arrays, or cards to store the data? (sorry, I've still a lot to
>>> learn, obviously!!!)
>>
>> Rev binded to Valentina (local DB) and PostgreSQL (remote DB)...
>>

> You could also use PostgreSQL locally and save yourself some licensing
> costs.

Why didn't i think at this. Tied, probably ;-!  Thanks, Frank for
pointing us in this direction ;)

100 times true, even for a newbie under MacOS X in getting the cool
Marc Liyanage's installer at

<http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosxpostgresql>

  or under Windows in using the PostgreSQL Beta 8.0 and the windows
dedicated tools coming with it at

<http://www.postgresql.org> and <http://pgreplicator.sourceforge.net/>

I'm using PG all the time under both Linux and MacOS X (can help) but
havn't begin to test and work with the replicator for yet (can't help).

> I would advise you NOT to store the data internally to the
> application, since you will probably want to use standalones when
> distributing to the various locations (otherwise each location would
> need a Rev license), and the data would be lost when closing the
> program if the data is stored internally in a standalone.

Same...

> I would suggest (as an example) that you set up a local database at
> each location (PostgreSQL would be fine, and it is free) which would
> store the information locally, and use a central server at some other
> location to pool the data for all of the different locations together
> for the central staff.  Include a feature in the program you
> distribute to the different locations to upload any modifications to
> the central server when a connection is present.

Same again ;)

> There are of course other ways to do this, but this would be one
> example you might consider.

Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

100, rue de Paris
F - 77140 Nemours