Is this possible in RR?

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Mon Aug 16 10:38:46 EDT 2004

>> Question: These records would typically be over 5000 animals with
>> possibly 20 to 30 records each. Would I use a SQL database, XML,
>> Arrays, or cards to store the data? (sorry, I've still a lot to
>> learn, obviously!!!)
>
> Rev binded to Valentina (local DB) and PostgreSQL (remote DB)...

You could also use PostgreSQL locally and save yourself some licensing
costs.

I would advise you NOT to store the data internally to the application,
since you will probably want to use standalones when distributing to
the various locations (otherwise each location would need a Rev
license), and the data would be lost when closing the program if the
data is stored internally in a standalone.

I would suggest (as an example) that you set up a local database at
each location (PostgreSQL would be fine, and it is free) which would
store the information locally, and use a central server at some other
location to pool the data for all of the different locations together
for the central staff.  Include a feature in the program you distribute
to the different locations to upload any modifications to the central
server when a connection is present.

There are of course other ways to do this, but this would be one
example you might consider.

Signup at www.doteasy.com