Is this possible in RR?

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Mon Aug 16 00:47:39 EDT 2004

Paul,

Your app can be done in Rev. I would advise you to use some SQL
database to store your data. You could use Valentina for your local
solution and MySQL for your internet solution, since they both share
the RevDB api, you build your code only once and just tell what DB your
using when you open them.

I think you need SQL for you'll be cross searching data, and SQL is
great at that, if you're using Arrays or XML, then you need to build
your own cross searching routines and thats a science on it's own.

I know nothing of report producing in Rev, but I am learning much of
the Rev net features features, so if you need any assistance on the
net, I can try to help you. I would go like this.

On the application startup (not the handler but the time when it
starts), I would check for net connection, it I've got net connection,
then I would connect to main server and fetch data I need and push it
inside the valentina local db, only after that I would allow the user
to interact with the system. One trick part is synchronization. If
you've got multiple connections using the same DB you must take care
for them not to overwrite each other modfications. Imagine this
scenario where:

1) Client A, fetches Data from main DB.
2) Client B, fetches Data from main DB.
3) They both fiddle with the Data and change same records.
4) Client A uploads back it's data.
5) Client B uploads back it's data.

In this hellish case, client A data modifications are lost due to
client B overwrite. If all clients are working with the same tables and
records accross the net, you must build your software in a way to
prevent this from happening. MySQL got some locking mechanisms on it's
own, I don't know how to use them, but someone here sure know and there
are very good skilled DB programmers here and they will sure point you
to the right location.

Andre

Andre Alves Garzia ð 2004
Soap Dog Studios - BRAZIL