How to detect which files need an update

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Sun Aug 15 22:58:48 EDT 2004

I give each stack a custom property called "versionNum" or something
like that. When I upload the new stacks to the FTP server, I rename
them in a specific format e.g. StackName113.rev.gz would be a
compressed copy of StackName.rev with a version number of 1.1.3
Then I have a utility on the remote computers that check the files on
the FTP server, see if any of them have a version number later than the
ones if the "versionNum" custom property and of so, download,
uncompress & install them.
I don't rely on dates & times at all.

Cheers,
Sarah