Table fields... oh boy.

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Aug 15 18:20:42 EDT 2004

Troy Rollins wrote:
>> So there are three options at hand:
>>
>> - Specify what you need and let's see if someone has what
>>   you're looking for in scripted form.
>
> A working table / data grid object, which allows column resizing and
> sorting via headers, cell editing, proper treatment of the tab and
> return keys, lockable horizontal size - with a reasonable API (addRow,
> delRow, rowClicked,cellClicked, etc.) The rest of it is bonus features,
> I guess.
>

>> - Specify what you need and let's see if it could be added
>>   to the engine.
>
> #670 does a good job, though admittedly vague and broad. I didn't write
> it, but based on the signers-on, I'm not the only one who would like to
> see such a tool.

While #670 describes only a limited implementation and still has a good
many necessary properties undefined, it's a fair start and got my 5 votes.

There are more complete specs posted previously to the improve-rev list
-- Ken, do you have those?  Should they be posted to #670 or would that
broaden the scope of that requst too much?

>> - Send us a postcard from El Dorado
>>   (ride, bodly ride, the shade replied...)
>
> Yes, Mr. Poe, it could be that I "seek for Eldorado." I have a tendency
> to want high-level tools to offer the same unrestricted features as
> low-level tools, and low-level tools to offer the same productivity and
> freedom from gibberish syntax that high-level tools do. There really is
> no Eldorado, is there?  Darn. I guess with high-level languages, you
> pick the one with the best features/compromises ratio, and make it work
> from there. Doesn't mean I won't keep up the search, or trying to get
> Revolution to continue transforming in the direction of Eldorado.

Amen to that, brother.  Like an old friend of mine used to say, "The
problem with setting your sights too low is that you're likely to reach
them."

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation