checking/unchecking menus after a menu with cascading

moe2 at shaw.ca moe2 at shaw.ca
Sun Aug 15 14:20:49 EDT 2004

on 2004/08/15 10:59 AM, Frank Leahy at frank at backtalk.com wrote:

> On Aug 15, 2004, at 5:00 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com
> wrote:
>
>> From: Ken Ray <kray at sonsothunder.com>
>> Subject: Re: checking/unchecking menus after a menu with cascading
>> menus Re: checking/unchecking menus after a menu with cascading  menus
>> To: Use Revolution List <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>>
>> On 8/15/04 4:46 AM, "Frank Leahy" <frank at backtalk.com> wrote:
>>

>>> That's correct -- on the Mac (not sure about Windows), disabled and
>>> sub-menu items are always considered unselectable, i.e. when you
>>> release on a disabled menu item or on a sub-menu item, no menu item is
>>> chosen or reported.
>>
>> Well, that's true for disabled menu items, but not for sub-menu items
>> - so
>> long as you remove the "autoarm" property. If you do that, what you
>> get back
>> is the form: <menuItemName>|<subMenuItemName|<subSubMenuItemName>, so
>> in a
>> menu that looks like this:
>>
>> Test
>> SubTest1
>> SubSubTest1
>> SubSubTest2
>> SubTest2
>>
>> If you pick "SubSubTest2", you get back in "menuPick":
>>
>> Tets|SubTest1|SubSubTest2
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Ken Ray
>>

> Ken,
>
> A misunderstanding of terminology -- I understood the "sub-menu item"
> to mean "SubTest1" in your example above, i.e. the menu item that
> displays the sub-menu.    A "sub-menu item" cannot be chosen, and
> therefore yields no MenuPick message,

not true
put this transcript in the button script of a button with submenus and
cascade menus

on menuPick theItem
  put theItem & "  " & the menuHistory of me
end menuPick

this will show that cascade menuItems as well as menuItems can get a message
sent and intercepted ... so this handler should be able to toggle the
checkMark of any selected menuItem and cascade menuItem