checking/unchecking menus after a menu with cascading menus Re: checking/unchecking menus after a menu with cascading menus

Frank Leahy frank at backtalk.com
Sun Aug 15 05:46:34 EDT 2004

On Aug 14, 2004, at 11:42 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com
wrote:

> From: Troy Rollins <troy at rpsystems.net>
> Subject: Re: checking/unchecking menus after a menu with cascading
> 	menus
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>

> On Aug 14, 2004, at 2:05 PM, FlexibleLearning at aol.com wrote:
>
>> I think the request is not only a child  sub-menu checked but also the
>> parent. If this is the case, the answer seems to  be no you cannot.
>> Which I agree is
>> a bit odd as it would certainly help to track  down checked sub-menus
>> when
>> you cannot see them, but then Apple is trying to  abolish hierarchical
>> menus
>> anyway.
>
> I believe the reason you can't is that no event gets fired by releasing
> on the parent, isn't that correct?
>
> If so, I don't think it would qualify as a "bug" since AFAIK, menus
> aren't *supposed* to work that way.

That's correct -- on the Mac (not sure about Windows), disabled and
sub-menu items are always considered unselectable, i.e. when you
release on a disabled menu item or on a sub-menu item, no menu item is
chosen or reported.

You can, using the Mac toolbox directly (i.e. not via RR), see if a
sub-menu or disabled item has been selected by calling another
function, MenuChoice().  That function was added so that things like
Help systems could find out if the user had selected a disabled item,
or a sub-menu item.

-- Frank

Web Photos Pro: Software for Photo Bloggers and Other Photo Power Users
See us on the web at http://www.webphotospro.com/