How to detect which files need an update

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Aug 14 12:39:10 EDT 2004

On Aug 14, 2004, at 10:11 AM, Ton Cardona wrote:

> One program of mine is based on compressed files which the user
> downloads from an FTP to his hard disk. Those files are frequently
> updated (legal stuff).
>
> Although it is easy to detect the date of files in the FTP, I am
> unable to detect whether the files in the hard disk do need an update
> by comparing their dates to the dates of those in the FTP.

Are you using modification date from the files() function?  If not,
look at that.  It would not match the FTP date, I assume, but if it is
older than the ftp date, you need to update.  You might want to update
if it is near the ftp date, just to be safe.

If you are already using it, what is wrong?

Dar