OS X Standalone (mis)behavior

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Fri Aug 13 14:19:47 EDT 2004

Well, as I was doing some testing to try to come up with a recipe for
this, my experiments started pointing to a cause outside of Rev. There
may be something going on within OS X that somehow "remembers" the
creator type for a previous version and when a new version with the
same name but different creator type tries to launch the OS gets
confused and refuses to launch it.

This is what I did that makes me suspect the OS:
I copied the 2.2 compiled version to my file server, but to a different
directory than the one that is refusing to launch. I launch my app, it
works perfectly. Then I copy the application to the original directory
on the server (remember it has the same name as the previous, rev
2.1-compiled version, which launched normallly, but in 2.2 I left the
creator name as ???? and in the 2.1 version I used RApp.) The copy now
WILL NOT LAUNCH. If I go back to the other directory, the application
launches fine. This makes me suspect that OS X is retaining some kind
of information about the path name to the application and its creator
type and if something doesn't match up to what it expects, the launch
is aborted.

I'll continue to watch and play with it, but for now it doesn't appear
to be a Rev problem.

Devin

On Aug 12, 2004, at 9:47 AM, Devin Asay wrote:

> Monte,
>
> Now I've heard others have had it, I'll try to come up with a recipe
> and then bugzilla it.
>
> Devin

>>> I've seen the zooming-without-launching effect too. I have no idea if
>>> this has been identified and logged with bugzilla though.
>>
>> No it hasn't. There are only two bugs on the standalone builder and
>> both are
>> PENDING. Without wishing to sound rude, it's a little frustrating to
>> see
>> "I've seen that too" posts when a bug is discussed on the list and
>> still
>> nothing in bugzilla. Please post to bugzilla so we can keep a record
>> of the
>> issue. I'm not sure I have enough info to fix this yet though...
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> --
>>   Monte Goulding - monte at sweattechnologies.com
>>   Sweat Technologies