FTPd Server Side implemented in Rev!!!

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Fri Aug 13 10:54:05 EDT 2004

On Aug 13, 2004, at 7:43 AM, Robert Brenstein wrote:

> That is really great news if we can have embedded ftp server.
>
> Sounds like you your should either rename your lib to libNetServices
> or make a separate libFTP and libHTTP. What speaks for the latter is
> that these protocols are independent from each other and having two
> libs will allow you independent maintenance cycles, also making things
> a bit easier for users. They will also match other 'protocol' libs
> (libSMTP, libPOP...). I imagine that libFTP will also merge in the FTP
> client functionality.
>
> Robert

Robert,

the library was called libWebServices, I know ftp is not the web, and I
am considering renaming it to libNetServices. We've got HTTPd and FTPd
functionality, Rev already provide the client side, if you use get URL
"ftp://ftp.myServer.com/pub/" it will work. The servers are independent
each one inside it's own button and you load them in the back. I can do
my development cycle fine for working in one server does nothing to the
other. The main difficulty is passive connections, the clients are not
connecting to the dataport, but this I'll figure today.

if you embedd the two servers out of the box in your stack (just add
two invisible buttons) you gain this functionlities:
* HTTPd - Serve dynamic and static pages.
* HTTPd - map handlers/controls/cards/stacks to URL-like scheme (Ie:
http://www.myhome.com/myStack/myCard/myButton/mouseUp)
* HTTPd - XML-RPC Server Side so that you can use RPC with all your
handlers.
* FTPd - Serve files using standard protocol, active connections and
passive connections.
* FTPd - built-in folders aliases, you can create an alias in memory to
a folder. This is good for apps you can make
ftp://ftp.myServer.com/pub/ point to the desired shared folder on user
machine. There will be no symlink or touch in the hard drive, FTPd will
translate from one to the other in it's memory.

Nice ain't it?

Cheers
Andre

--