Cross platform fonts question

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 13 00:54:49 EDT 2004

on Thu, 12 Aug 2004
Ken Ray wrote:

> Well, Flash and Director do it all the time by
> allowing TrueType (and I believe OpenType as well)
> fonts to be embedded. Perhaps Rev can do the same
> thing?

I'll add Acrobat too. ;-)
Do you remember the Cross World Computing dll's?
They could load a font in runtime, so no installation
in the system was needed.
Did they work as promised in both platforms?

Troy Rollins wrote:

> Uh...
>
> ... never mind.
> --

Hmmm, i think that Adobe Acrobat could claim
to be one of the best cross-platform font
rendering tools. Recent pdf specifications
clearly shows the direction that Adobe is
aiming Acrobat: A multimedia cross platform
tool.

Before doubting this, check by yourself
all the multimedia features added to
pdf version 1.5

Cubist wrote:

> A third option has occured to me: Take the
> bitmaps for every character in
> a font, store all these bitmaps as custom
> properties, and set the imageSource
> for all the characters in a field to the appropriate
> custom properties.

Malte Brill coded a similar solution.
It's in the RR user's contribution site.

al

=====
Visit my site:
http://www.geocities.com/capellan2000/