Questions about Rev/Transcript vs. other toolkits

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Thu Aug 12 03:11:33 EDT 2004

On Aug 11, 2004, at 11:25 PM, Troy Rollins wrote:

> Revolution has the means somehow to ensure that the content is of
> higher quality than other tools do?

Come on Troy, I even added the wink this time :-)  Would you argue that
Flash is not known as the tool used to create an occasional website or
two that was more glitz than substance?  This being the case can we not
poke fun at it once and a while?  Does that mean it is all it is
capable of?  Of course not.

In my experience Flash works very well from a delivery standpoint for
web apps that will be delivered in a browser because it enables you to
create elegant interfaces that aren't reloading every time a request is
sent to the server (among other things).  The problem lies in the
development tools.  The Flash authoring environment is severely lacking
for this type of development (even with MX 2004 "Professional") and in
my experience with creating web apps in Flash the authoring environment
was a bottleneck.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia