Questions about Rev/Transcript vs. other toolkits

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Aug 12 01:57:52 EDT 2004

Troy,

Thanks for your comments. Here are some questions.

In Director, can you composite 4 images, one on the top of each other,
each with a transparent alpha channel, and export the final single
composited image as a PNG with alpha channel intact? I know they can be
'overlayed' on top of each other, but combining them into a single image
with the 'sum of the alphas' is quite a different thing. This is not a
simple image snapshot I'm talking about.

Can you edit the binary data of a single image? Can you reset the dpi
for an image w/out affecting the size of an image?

And, can you create a standalone application which can be launched by
clicking a 'document file' (not the app itself) and load the document
file automatically?

Lastly, could you do all of this in 2 weeks? If so, I'm just wondering
why I don't see more real 'apps' written in Director? In fact, I know of
no commercial apps written in Director, though I can't say I've looked
all that hard ;-).

Granted, my last spin w/Director was quite awhile ago, but at that time
I wasn't sure it could do any of this. Come to think of it, perhaps the
'Flash Generator' server app (is it still around?) may had much of the
compositing stuff in it.

In anycase, I would say if Director can do all of this, then hurray for
Director:-), but it still doesn't diminish the serious imaging
capabilities of RR.

best,

Chipp