Educational uses for Rev

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 20:23:01 EDT 2004

on Thu, 12 Aug 2004
Kaj Schwermer wrote:

> Thanks for the inspiration!  Speaking of novices
> and creating apps for
> the educational market.  I haven't seen the
> beginning of this thread
> and am a complete neophyte as far as programming
> goes, but am extremely
> interested in potential uses of Rev for the
> educational market.

For a while, RunRev started a Education Mail list,
but some uneducated responses make that list
to be closed.

> I run a small chain of language schools here in
> Osaka, Japan and have been
> working in the language education
> field for nearly a decade here in
> this country, specializing in children's education.

While i was working in Macintosh, i made a
"identify hiragana-katakana" stack.

It required that Kanji fonts were installed in
the Macintosh.

> The English
> language education market is a multibillion dollar
> market in this
> country alone, but decent software (language
> teaching in Asia) is few
> and far between.

What's the main operating systems of PC in Japan?
I've read somewhere that NEC computers are
a majority in Japan, or it was long ago?

Talking with some japanese people, i learned
that relatively few japanese could speak
english with fluency. This was a surprise for me.

> I would be very interested in
> hearing more about what
> you have to say about potential applications
> in this field.

Look at the users contributions
in the RunRev site.

These educational interactions from
Macromedia Flash are a piece of cake
in this platform:

<>

With little work, you can realize
MOST of your ideas in RR/MC/DreamCard!

Mark Swindell wrote:

> It would seem Revolution could really make a dent
> in education, as well, particularly in the
> instruction of basic programming skills and logic.

Look at these links:

<http://www.metacard.com/pi6.html>
<ftp://ftp.metacard.com/MetaCard/mtp.mc>
<ftp://ftp.metacard.com/MetaCard/mtpguide.mc>

Richard Gaskin wrote:

> The challenge is to find more open-ended question
> models which can still
> be assessed by the computer.  For example, the most
> open-ended question
> is an essay, but I sure don't want to write the
> routine that scores
> essays. :)

This will require some sort of Artificial
Inteligent agents. A Team work for sure. ;-)

> What sorts of enhanced question models do you think
> would be ideal for
> computer-based learning?

Simulations. Or Social games, like those that
Mark Prensky advocates:

<http://www.marcprensky.com>

al

=====