Cross platform fonts question

Mark Swindell mdswindell at charter.net
Wed Aug 11 20:09:03 EDT 2004

Hey, thanks.  That thread really cleared things up for me!  <g>

It seems like the xplat font mess ought to be a high priority for
Revolution.  The only solution I saw that seems foolproof is the free
Bitstream Vera idea or the fellow who hired his own fontographer and
required user installation.

I really don't get why this issue is insurmountable.  It seems like the
kind of thing that leads to bad PR for any creation made with RR that
displays poorly on different systems.  Perhaps there needs to be a font
development effort for inclusion with RR that would ensure xplat
compatibility and not cause copyright infringement.  If a program
displays like &^#%#g it is perceived as same, and in the final analysis
that hurts RR and those who develop with it.

Last question showing my ignorance:  Can fonts ever exist and be called
from within an application itself, or must they reside at the system
level and be called from there?

Mark