Educational uses for Rev (was Re: Plea to sell Dan's book widely)

Marian Petrides mpetrides at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 11 17:17:17 EDT 2004

Marielle wrote:

> [...]
a step in that direction. But its not a good option for a lecturer who
cannot ask each one of his students to buy a player to benefit from the
courseware material he has developed.

I have not paid very close attention to this since the player does not
interest me, but it is my understanding that the player (as in the
executable file that plays your stacks) will be like HyperCard
Player--free to distribute with your stacks.  Or am I misspeaking?

 >>>Yes, I agree, revolution is worth more than its current price... but
HE people often have no plan to sell the products they develop. Selling
it to a lower price to HE individuals may have them ask their
university to buy a site or university-wide license.

Again, I bought a Professional license (now Enterprise) when Rev first
came out and have continued with same, so I have not kept up with the
cost/features of other versions.  However, if you are simply developing
applications for your students to use, couldn't you simply get by with
an Express license at $149  (makes standalones that exit with "made
with Revolution")? Or, if you need to create cross-platform apps but
are OK with doing your creation on one platform, a Studio license at
$299 (no "made with Rev" on exit)?

Finally, it sounds like Dreamcard, which I think will cost $100 will be
exactly what you need, assuming that you are permitted to distribute
the player with your stacks at no extra charge.

 >>>If anybody is interested in an association or has a job to propose,
I would be delighted to hear from them.

I don't have a job (not even for myself ;-) but would be glad to talk
off list.  I am in Vermont, USA.

Marian