Educational uses for Rev

Marian Petrides mpetrides at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 11 15:03:05 EDT 2004

Actually, I am talking about self-paced instruction (see my earlier
reply), in which the student is presented with a question, has to
commit to an answer, the answer is parsed, and the student given
feedback on the answer.

Frankly, while it would not be hard to "score" responses in this
setting, I have resisted doing so because then the goal becomes to get
the best "score," not to learn the material. Since what I do is medical
education, there is a mix of science (fact) and art (clinical judgment)
involved in answering the questions--see my comment on "permissive"
answers in my earlier post. Giving a numeric score penalizes the
student who thinks outside the box. And, because the ultimate goal of
medical education is to teach students how to "think like a doctor" NOT
how to memorize these 10 million factoids, creative thinking should not
be penalized--or even appear to be.