Educational uses for Rev (was Re: Plea to sell Dan's book widely)

Marian Petrides mpetrides at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 11 14:49:13 EDT 2004

One thing I make extensive use of is check boxes.  This allows you to
ask relatively open-ended fact questions.  For example, present a
clinical vignette and ask  "out of this list of 9 diagnoses which could
cause this clinical picture (ie what is your differential diagnosis at
this point)"; student needs to get all correct diagnoses and no
incorrect diagnoses.

If you are programming the parser yourself, you can even set up
"permissive" rules. Using the above example, say 4 of the responses are
the ones sought after, but there are 2 others that might be viewed as
correct in certain circumstances.  You could then allow all of the
following to proceed to the card for "correct answer":  correct 4,
(correct 4 + one other), (correct 4 +  the other possibly correct),
(correct 4 + both others). The answer card then tells the student what
the sought after answer was and why, then explains the "permissive"
answers.

The other thing which can be done is to simulate real-world tasks.
I've put together a module that simulates the way a bench tech goes
about interpreting an antibody identification panel. The programming
for this was actually quite easy.  What was difficult was figuring out
the graphical display--once I created the graphics for a hardcopy book
I wrote, the programming solution made itself apparent.

For those who are curious, I'll describe what I did (ignore if you
like).   If you envision a grid consisting of 10 rows and 25 columns,
the first step the student needs to do is to highlight the correct rows
(on-off toggle using unhighlighted graphic vs highlighted one (both
created in Photoshop). Then the student needs to toggle one of the
following 3 (no image, slash, or X) at the top of each column.
Eventually, the parser needs to see whether the correct rows are
highlighted and whether the correct mark appears at the top of each
column. Again, there are "permissive" rules covering circumstances in
which both a slash or an X could be correct.