errorDialog Message question

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Aug 11 02:00:43 EDT 2004

Jerry Daniels wrote:

> Gang,
>
> I've been in the archives looking for others who may have had trouble
> with the errorDialog message.
>
> While most of the posts dealt with the errorData this message delivers,
> my problem revolves around trapping this message with a handler in the
> IDE. I am developing a script editor and want to handle my own execution
> errors.
>
> It seems the revBackScript is the only one getting any errorDialog
> messages in the Rev 2.2 IDE. If I lock error dialogs, then I get the
> message, but I can't put a lock error dialog statement in every handler,
> now can I? I've tried inserting a script in back like revBackScript, but
> it doesn't matter where I put it, I don't get errorDialog messages
> unless I remove revBackScript.
>
> I know Richard has been mucking about with this rascal, maybe he knows
> the path to salvation?

I put together an article on extending the Rev message path for just
such occassions:
<http://www.fourthworld.com/embassy/articles/revolution_message_path.html>

In reference to backscripts, I note there:

    Scripts inserted first take precedence over scripts inserted later.

So when you insert a backScript, it goes in bsck of any existing
backscripts.

Fortunately, the opposite is true of the corollary to backscript:
frontScripts.

With frontScripts, those inserted later are put in front.  So if you
insert a frontScript and the Rev IDE is already loaded, your script can
get system messages before the IDE gets them.

Note that the errorDialog message will only address execution issues.
To trap for compilation issues you'll want to handle the
scriptParsingError message.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation