MDI kind

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Aug 9 16:57:08 EDT 2004

Dar Scott wrote:
> On Aug 9, 2004, at 2:29 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> Yes, there are various ways to get some of the appearance and behavior
>> of MDI, but they are not a true MDI asds described in the Win HIG:
>
> I would admit that a Win HIG MDI would be more work, but that is a
> matter of effort, not a matter of kind.  One problem might be matching
> the system buttons of the host.

That's the least of it.  Take a second look at the spec:
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwue/html/ch10g.asp>

There is nothing that behaves like an MDI parent window in Rev, with the
ability to constrain child windows within it, allow the docking behavior
we see when maximizing child windows within it, and more.

About the only way I can think of to do anything close to that would be
to emulate all of the child windows as groups, but it would be very
challenging to make those emulated windows look and feel like real windows.

You got a secret method you're willing to share? :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation