Mac-centric or mac-friendly?

Charles Silverman csilverm at ryerson.ca
Mon Aug 9 12:29:57 EDT 2004

Could it be that Rev is simply Mac-friendly and Mac-equal rather than
Mac-centric... Mac-friendly is a good thing.  Otherwise, I wouldn't be
using Rev.

There are still a lot of Mac things which aren't available in Rev....
The new "font" dialog box that is standard in OS X for one. Macs do
well in education and digital media so that 96% figure regarding the
rest of the market place may be a trifle high.

Would there be as many complaints about Quicktime if it weren't an
"Apple" product?  Quicktime is supposed to be almost caught up to
Windows Media Player, with Real trailing behind, so it's hard to see
that it's that much of a problem to install Quicktime. I recall that
Apple offers the Quicktime installer license for free. To quote:

> "A recent report on media player market share sales for client and
> enterprise applications by research firm Frost & Sullivan showed Apple
> moving into second position with 36.8 percent of the market, after
> running a distant third a few years ago. That puts Apple above Real,
> which controls 24.9 percent and not too far off from Microsoft and its
> share of 38.2 percent."
- from http://www.internetnews.com/infra/article.php/3366831

One of my main reasons for using Rev is its Quicktime support.  I hope
it gets better.

The Mac-friendly approach of the Rev team is much appreciated.

best,
Charles Silverman