memory - why isn't it getting freed

Chris Sheffield revlist at cableone.net
Mon Aug 9 10:00:49 EDT 2004

Can anyone tell me the reasons for memory not getting freed up like it
should?

I have an application that consists of a login stack, another main stack
where most of the program functionality occurs, and then several other
external stacks (stored as compressed data in a Valentina database) that
contain multimedia content such as graphics, audio files, text, etc.  These
stacks get extracted from the database, decompressed, and then accessed to
retrieve that content.  The problem is, when I’m done with these external
stacks, I use the delete stack command, which should remove them from
memory, but it doesn’t.  I have checked every function I can think of
(revLoadedStacks, openStacks, stacksInUse, etc.) to see if Rev thinks these
stacks are still open in some way, but that is not the case.  The memory
just doesn’t get freed.  It doesn’t return to normal until I completely exit
my application.  This is not a good thing because used memory keeps building
up and up, until eventually the application crashes because the system has
run out of memory.

This is a serious problem, and I’m not sure if it’s something I’m doing
wrong, or if I’ve discovered some bug in Rev.  So what I’m wondering is,
what would cause memory to not get freed the way it should?  Files that the
stacks might have open perhaps?  But if that were the case, why would the
stack not appear when using one of the above functions?  Anything else?

Thanks,

Chris Sheffield
Software Developer
Read Naturally