Quick Rev <=> Flash review

Alex Shaw alex at harryscollar.com
Sun Aug 8 21:30:05 EDT 2004

At 02:00 AM 9/08/2004, you wrote:
>products but failed, sorry. Sadly, Actionscript has more books written
>about it
>than Hypertalk ever will have.
>
>Andrew

Just recently bought Macromedia's Flash MX 2004 Pro because I wanted to
create a xplat hybrid system for a client which used a full-screen flash
projector for the main interface (because anti-aliased vector graphics
rule) and rev for everything else (database, local / server file ops etc).
Halfway through the project now..

Anyway here are my observations...

Flash has certainly come along way in its last 2 incarnations. I've used
and taught flash for a number of years now and as a software engineer
thought it was fun and had a lot of potential.... just the language needed
to mature.. and it has, fortunately .. not as easy as our favorite
xtalk/transcript but that's javascript/actionscript for ya. Classes seem
more useful in a language like actionscript :)
I was also impressed by the number of new built-in & 3rd-party drop-in
components. It now has datagrids / treelists etc .. of course all this is
well-presented by some smick macromedia propaganda, see
http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/productinfo/features/brz_tour/
now how come the runrev team can't look as slick ;-)

The development IDE is much better & having more control over your vector
canvas was great (actionscript now has a draw line command!). Flash is far
from perfect when trying to integrate it with anything non-macromedia (like
microsoft and apple). Anyway after a few days hacking the old mchttpd stack
I've ended up with my initial hybrid setup, with rev / flash happily
talking semi-bidirectionally via tcp/ip. Next step is to get them talking
xml and making use of the xupdate feature (anyone done this?.. I don't need
it now but it could be handy in the future)

Both flash and rev still require kludges for certain platform-specific
issues but these are [sometimes documented &] easily solved. There has been
some talk about embedding activex controls into rev and this is certainly a
good thing if you're ms-bound but I think most of us chose mc / rev because
of it's xplat capabilities and this project certainly proved to me that it
was only possible because rev is really good at the basic stuff and if it
can keep doing that and improving then we all benefit.

regards
alex