Is Rev too "Mac focused"?

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sun Aug 8 03:27:04 EDT 2004

Jerry J wrote:

> When I asked where all the required pearls of wisdom are documented,
> several heads turned to another of the participants with question marks
> for eyes... his response was something like I dunno, I sent it all to
> Kevin.

Hi Jerry!

Mark Weider is the guy. He wrote an external primer for RR, but I don't
know whatever became of it...

> Right on, Chipp. I need to see a really good primer. I'll settle for
> even a bad one...

I keep promising myself to make one soon. But alas, things get in the
way-- I'm afraid it's on the same schedule as Devolution ;-)

Mark,

"Second, I feel that the extension of Transcript to externals has a
couple of pluses - one is that programmers coming from another
environment (MSVC for example) can make port their code over to
Transcript more easily if they have access to calls that are not
currently supported by the RR engine (and in fact the engine would
probably have no business supporting). This I think would be a big
draw towards acceptance in the Windows market. The second plus is that
given access to a standard ActiveX mechanism, RR programmers would
have a wealth of existing controls and libraries at their disposal
without having to reinvent everything from scratch. As Ken Ray has
pointed out, there are lots of grid controls and the like that exist
for C and VB programmers to pluck off the net and drop into their
applications, but that capability doesn't yet exist for RR."

Yep, I agree. After spending the last 30 minutes perusing the RB
developer list archives, I see there can be some significant support
'costs' to adding ActiveX as a feature set...

best,

Chipp