Plea to sell Dan's book widely

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sun Aug 8 02:10:21 EDT 2004

Dan Shafer wrote:

> I reiterate what I said earlier today in this very interesting
> discussion. I do not believe Rev has any serious chance of making
> significant inroads into the professional development community on ANY
> platform, and certainly not on Windows or (moreso?) on *nix. It will
> always be a product aimed at hobbyist and inventive user class
> developers who do not write code for a living but who have real problems
> to solve at work or at home.

Depends on what you mean by 'significant inroads.' If it means making
enough to provide a return to shareholders and keep the product alive
and well, then I beg to disagree. If it means competing head to head
with MS products then I agree. As you rightly pointed out earlier, even
Borland can't compete w/ MS, but does that make them unsuccessful?

One thing I do think should be made clear though: RR is a PROFESSIONAL
LEVEL DEVELOPMENT TOOL. There are those of us (including you) who make a
living writing professional code using RR. I only mention this so others
(perhaps undecided) who read this thread will know that professional
level products have been created with this product.

best,

Chipp