Is being a good cross-platform tool good enough? [was Re: Is Rev too "Mac focused"?]

Frank Leahy frank at backtalk.com
Sun Aug 8 00:34:56 EDT 2004

On Aug 7, 2004, at 7:15 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com
wrote:

> From: Troy Rollins <troy at rpsystems.net>
> Subject: Re: Is Rev too "Mac focused"?
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>

> On Aug 7, 2004, at 5:25 PM, Ken Ray wrote:
>
>> Here's a couple of goodies:
>>
>> 1) Inability to use ActiveX or COM controls (although with Chipp's
>> altBrowser you can use them in a web browser, but that's different).
>
> I know Director can use ActiveX, what other x-plat tools can? Does
> RealBasic?
>>
>> 3) Inability to call "normal" (i.e. not developed specifically for
>> Rev)
>> DLLs.
>
> Which x-plat development tools can do this?

The problem with these types of question -- "but aren't we as good as
the other cross-platform tools?" -- is that most developers aren't
asking whether other *cross-platform development* tools can do these
things, they're asking whether *development* tools can do these things
(because most developers don't really care about cross-platform
development.)

With native API support, the ability to call native libraries (dlls,
etc.), and the addition of a more widely-used syntax, RunRev could give
the best single-platform tools a run for their money.  But as long as
RunRev continues to make decisions based on its being just another
cross-platform tool, then they will miss out on being the best tool,
regardless of platform.

Just my 2p...

-- Frank Leahy

Web Photos Pro: Software for Photo Bloggers and Other Photo Power Users
See us on the web at http://www.webphotospro.com/