Is Rev too "Mac focused"?

Cubist at aol.com Cubist at aol.com
Sat Aug 7 14:39:29 EDT 2004

   Well, well, well. So some of the guys on the PC side of the fence find Rev
alien to their usual habits/expectations? They wonder why Rev doesn't court
*them* assiduously enough? They can't figure out why *their* platform-of-choice
is largely ignored?
   Heh!
   I'm a Mac user of long standing, and I got one thing to say to those PC
users:
   Welcome to *our* world, baby. Think about it.

   Okay, whatever substance there may be to complaints of an "excess" of Mac
focus, the above mini-rant doesn't do squat to address them... but after years
and years of seeing the PC boys act, not just like the Universe *does* around
them, but that the Universe *can, should, and MUST* revolve around them? All
I can say is that it's *great* fun to see the shoe on the *other* foot, for
once. This doesn't make me a paragon of tolerance, to be sure, but I'm only
human, you know? I believe our German friends have a very relevant word --
"schadenfreude" (which I may or may not have spelled correctly)...

   Now that I've got that out of my system: What things do you PC boys find
lacking in the PC implementation of Rev? Let's see if we can't assemble a list
of 'weak points'. Once we've got that list, we can maybe discover which of
those 'holes' is something the good folk of RunRev can reasonably do something
about, which ones you're stuck with until Microsoft gets its act together, and
yada yada yada. I'll start:

   Text-to-speech. It's my understanding (gained from past posts to this
mailing list) that TTS is pretty much broken on the PC side, and it's going to
*stay* broken until Microsoft gets its act together and *fixes* it.