Plea to sell Dan's book widely

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Aug 7 09:37:18 EDT 2004

MisterX wrote:

> To win over PC users, it would be nice to have the features of flash and
> java... RunRev definitely has the quality look required. But performance
> and little things keep RR a step behind. Even compared to RealBasic, RR
> still has one feature above all the forementioned: the easiest and fastest
> way to make an application - Flash is not that easy to script!

Indeed the productivity benefits are hard to match, and I've seen no
reasoned argument describing something more productive.

But on performance, I think you must have missed a few posts here
over the last year:

Everytime someone who who doesn't use Rev comes trolling in here looking
to pick a fight on performance, ultimately it is the troll who goes away
embarassed when Rev is demonstrated to outperform their fave, and often
in fewer lines.

I'm sure a more clever troll could work hard enough to identify the
subset of cases where that's not true, but do date the discussions have
been ostensibly about real-world needs, and the argument wasn't worth
pursuing further to them at all once total development productivity is
reintroduced into the discussion.

This is not to suggest that Rev will beat everything all the way down to
Assembler, but it's much faster than most 4GLs and some 3GLs and I don't
think anyone who actually measures it considers performance to be a
critical issue.

In the relatively narrow subset of cases where performance of
computationally-intensive routines is beyond what Rev does gracefully,
as with the many-times-more-expensive Director or Toolbook products you
can always just drop in an external for such specialized needs.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation