Game Design Doc

william griffin bill at igame3d.com
Wed Aug 4 20:42:41 EDT 2004

Hello Folks,
Months ago I had the idea that a design document based interface
would simplify and organize the iGame3D production flow.
Much has happened since then and I can't seem to recall the
inspirational
genius behind what I was trying to accomplish, resulting in the work I
started needlessly gathering dust.

I now provide you with this incomplete work, in the hopes that it might
inspire someone to take things to the next level or in the least help
you do something in the same vein.

http://www.igame3d.com/gamedesigndocs.zip
The download consists of the following:

GameDesignDoc.rev
This is heart of the concept, a Revolution based design document
generator/input/asset management stack.
Memory is fuzzy but I believe it is based on the work of Darius Kazemi
found in the included text document "GameDesignFlow.txt".
Basically I started to put in every detail of a game design document,
with the intention
that options chosen within said document would in the end generate the
necessary
components of an actual game. I know there is very expensive asset
management software
of this kind, I've just never had my hands on such.
Currently this stack opens to the "objects" group, as thats where I
left off with all
the options that came to mind for giving a game object properties that
would in turn lead
to "logic requirements".

logiceditor030704.rev
This is the implementation of the concept for use with iGame3D by
Tobias Opfermann.
It is currently very iGame3D specific. I include it as an example of
what kinds of options
would be available after one picked several options in the above
"objects" group.
I intend on improving this at some point in the future, after a dozen
other things on the to do list,
and coming up with a logical way of implementing it into the production
pipeline.

Ideally both above stacks, would be "engine" neutral, in that
scripters/coders would
have a way of providing rules to give the stacks for generating scripts
for game logic
be it in BASIC, Rev, LUA, Ruby, whatever.
Although how this is done is way over my head right now.

GoofyleveldesignTopDown.rev
This is just a collection of the game looking default icons provided in
Revolution.
I thought: "What if you had a top down level editor using default icons"
As you'll see there is potential in these for mapping, logic rules,
character positions and the like.
Maybe someone can do something with these, or use it as a spring board
for their own icon designs.
These icons are a bit oversized for any clean UI, IMHO.

GameDesignDocDiagrams.pdf
This is a long winded educational essay on diagramming game design
found on the net,
provided as a reference towards the goals I was aiming to achieve.

Comments, suggestions, and collaborations are welcome.

Mr Bill