margins and tabstops

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Wed Aug 4 13:46:24 EDT 2004

Hi Rob,

>> Create a field with a wide left margin, set the TABS, put some tabs
>> and text
>> into it and turn on the "vgrid"...
>>
>> Et voila, completely "out of sync" :-(
>>
>> Bug or feature?
>
> Or just the way that it works, Klaus.

I was afraid of that ;-)

> I believe tabStops are absolute positions: tabStop pixels from the
> left of the field or the last tabStop.

Sure, makes sense...

> I have not tried this, but I believe you can obtain the same "out of
> sync"ness by radically changing the font size of the field's contents.

No, a tab at 200 is a tab at 200.

> You need to account for your margins and font size if you want vGrids
> to change dynamically when margins &/or font size changes.

Only one size and font and style...

Please try it out by yourself, you have to see it ;-)

I simply cannot use the "vgrid" to prevent text from "displacing" the
next tabs...

I will have to "reorder" my list field entries, but then i will have
more "vgrid" lines
in my field than i want... Too bad :-(

> Rob Cozens
> CCW, Serendipity Software Company
>
> "And I, which was two fooles, do so grow three;
> Who are a little wise, the best fooles bee."
>
> from "The Triple Foole" by John Donne (1572-1631)

Regards

Klaus Major
klaus at major-k.de
http://www.major-k.de