Any Chatters? Revisited

Nonsanity nonsanity at fluffandsuch.com
Tue Aug 3 15:40:01 EDT 2004

 > On Aug 3, 2004, at 12:39 PM, Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com wrote:
 >
 > We would be like a Borg
 > hive, continually working together to make our apps better until the
 > day comes that we can no longer discern a difference between the
 > reality around us and the code that makes it seem so real.

Puts me in mind of Second Life (www.secondlife.com), a Windows and Mac
3D world simulation. It happens to be the focus of my first Rev project.
The game has auctions for its (virtual) land and there have been
discussions in SL over how those are changing. ("Land Barons" buying up
all the land, prices climbing, sky is falling, yadda, yadda, yadda...)

My project parses through the HTML auction result pages to strip out all
the available information and formats it for input into a MySQL
database. Then I can query the DB from Rev to datamine for interesting
information.

Right now, the stack only parses and queries... But I see that the tools
to do EVERY step are in there. I'll have to code it to fetch the HTML
pages and add the data to the DB to keep the data up-to-date.

Anyone have a prefab data graphing tool? If a great one exists I might
use it, but I've got no problem making my own. I've done it before in
Hypercard, so it should be trivial in Revolution.

Oh and if anyone checks out Second Life (7-day free trial, one-time
$9.95 price to play for life) look me up there. I'm "Tiger Crossing".
Its combination of graphics and scripting might feel very familiar to
Rev users, though the graphics are 3D and the coding is in a different
language...

  ~ Chris Innanen
  ~ Nonsanity
  ~ ( Tiger Crossing )