weird errors (was Re: Pamela nightmare over: post-mortem)

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Mon Aug 2 11:48:31 EDT 2004

On Aug 2, 2004, at 12:25 PM, pkc wrote:

> Finally, the question with which it all began:  What in creation is a
> "0,0" error?  I have tentatively decided to interpret this as:  "I
> don't have the slightest idea why I cannot open and run your perfectly
> good application."

I loved this one... it's better than the "Behold, here comes an Act of
God!" behaviour I sometimes get here... like for example during RMS we
created a function that accepted one parameter, it just echoed it back
with a simple return call. The code was like this:

function getRect pRect
   put "The rect is: && pRect
   return pRect
end getRect

function test
    get getRect(the rect of something)
    answer it
end test

simple. Then what happened was, when we call function test, we receive
our rect back nice and warm, but that debug put that we use in getRect
rect function shows that pRect was empty, me, David and Trevor stod
looking at this premonition behaviour of Rev for sometime, variable
watcher showed us that the pRect (in the actual code was a global) was
forever empty and yet the function received an echo with the correct
value... no kidding! After many nights asleep I decided that bug was
actually a feature, an Act of God, God was whispering the correct
values to my software so that it runs as smoothly as I designed it no
matter if the engines bug rendered the rest is spoiled and evil...
Thank you Lord! :D

Andre

--
Andre Alves Garzia ð 2004