Programming contest

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Apr 30 23:12:59 EDT 2004

On 4/30/04 9:07 PM, David Kwinter wrote:

> So long as the tasks don't involve compatibility issues, or are judged
> solely on speed, Revolution could do well. I'd help a team for sure,
> sounds like fun.

There are descriptions of previous contests in the History section of
the web site if you want an idea of what to expect. All entries are
submitted as text files. Here is last year's contest:

http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/icfpcontest/task.html

This required you to drive a simulated car around some simulated test
tracks. The submission itself is a text dump of the commands given to
the car. They then ran the trace through their own simulator, which
reads the contents of the submitted entry. They do want to see the code,
but they don't care what language it is in and the quality of the code
does not affect who wins; the success of the code does.

This year's contest will be similar in that the entry will consist of a
text file that solves whatever task they post. In last year's contest
speed did count, but only because the goal was to make the car move as
fast as possible. The speed would be due to the quality of the commands
rather than the state of any particular computer.

There's more stuff in the History section. MIT started the contest some
years ago. It looks like they've done a nice job eliminating things that
are computer and language dependent, and focusing on the programming
rather than the execution.