open process for OSX

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri Apr 30 01:17:11 EDT 2004

On Thursday, April 29, 2004, at 04:01 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:

> I have a process I want to read from in OSX. I can shell out and
> launch it as a daemon with the "&" to return control to RR, but I
> can't read any resulting data.

I have experimented along this line including using pipes, but did not
get this to work.  I might have goofed.

Perhaps using the application Terminal would work.  Terminal might be
handy for a lot of things so a few general functions to control
Terminal with AppleScript might be useful.

Either shell() or Terminal might be used to create the pipes.

The process can be started with Terminal and the shell of the terminal
is left running.

There might also be a way to do this with Terminal without pipes but
with AppleScript commands to write to and read from the process.

I have made some specialized externals that spun off a process, so that
might work.

Dar Scott