Problem installing cgi engine [was : ANN: CGI tutorial online]

jbv jbv.silences at Club-Internet.fr
Wed Apr 28 11:49:42 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I'm having a problem installing the Rev cgi engine on a
Linus RedHat 9 / Apache box.
I actually did the installation of earlier MC cgi engines
1 or 2 years ago, and everything went fine (and even
built a few complete websites around these engines
without any major problem).

I'm following step-by-step the online tutorial :

1) download the Linux engine from this URL :
http://www.runrev.com/revolution/downloads/engines/2.0/cgi/

2) unzip the file, renamed it "revolution" and upload it to the server
cgi-bin

3) set the permissions to 755 (also tried with 777)

4) built the "Hello world" test script (with Unix carriage
returns), upload it to the cgi-bin and set the permissions to 755
(and also 777)

5) before that, checked the 1st line of the script : #!revolution

And nevertheless I get a 500 server error with the following URL :
http://195.200.114.63/cgi-bin/hello.cgi

Meanwhile, in the same cgi-bin, I have another cgi test file (with 1st
line : #!/bin/sh) that works fine :
http://195.200.114.63/cgi-bin/test-cgi

So I have the feeling the problem comes from the engine...

BTW, when I unzip the archive, I get 3 files :
   revolution-x86
   .DS_Store
   echo.mt
should these 2 other files be uploaded to the cgi-bin as well ?

Last but not least, I am downloading and unzipping the engine on
(and uploading it from) Mac OS9 (don't have any Linux box at hand
right now)... Could this be a problem ? In the past, I did download
and unzip the windows engine several times and built windows
standalones on Mac without any problem...

Any idea ?

Thanks,
JB