XML parsing

kee nethery kee at kagi.com
Tue Apr 27 20:05:47 EDT 2004

I'm playing with the XML libraries and the thing I'm having trouble
with is understanding the terminology. The definitions are extremely
sparse and because of that I cannot figure out which functions do what
I want. What would be extremely useful are examples. Not example code
by itself, but example code with defined inputs and what that code does
as an output with that input.

for example this is a sample from the docs and it is just one step
better than useless:

put revXMLParent(1,"/City/Publisher") into parent

If treeId 1 is:

<City>
   <Publisher name="easy">
     <Author>jeff</Author>
     <Author>mary</Author>
   </Publisher>
   <Publisher name="difficult">
     <Author>bob</Author>
     <Author>carol</Author>
   </Publisher>
</City>

what does "parent" get set to?

What would be really useful is if someone could develop an example tree
that can be used to demonstrate all the functions. Then I'll be able to
look at the sample code, look at the sample inputs, see which function
gets the data I'm looking for, and then use that function.

Right now I have to manually build a tree and then try all the possible
functions against it to see which function produces the information I
am seeking.

It would be so helpful if the docs had a full example tree and all the
example functions used that tree and showed the results they would
return.

Just my 2 cents,
Kee Nethery