Documentation on developing externals

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Apr 26 11:39:41 EDT 2004

MisterX wrote:

> Has no one tried CompileIt on RR?
> Unfortunately it seems no longuer alive...

There may be a relationship between the two. ;)

Making a Compile-It!-like tool for Rev would be especially difficult
with its 12 supported platforms.

I'd rather see the effort go into optimizing Transcript so we get native
performance on all platforms.  Then again, since it seems to run as fast
as at least one "compiled" language maybe it's not so bad as it is. ;)

Historically the approach for resolving bottlenecks has been to add
language features that address them directly.  For two recent examples,
the split and compine commands were added as the result of discussions
on optimization needs.

What specific tasks are you looking to speed up?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation