Runrev cgi and Webhosting providers

Trevor DeVore trevor at mangomultimedia.com
Sat Apr 24 17:54:10 EDT 2004

On Apr 24, 2004, at 2:49 PM, jbv wrote:

> Trevor,
>
>> Yes.  I run a custom PHP CGI on my account that I compiled and
>> installed myself.  I can try installing the rev cgi later tonight and
>> let you know how it goes if you would like.
>
> Well, PHP is almost never a problem, since it is very often
> included in the standard server configuration.
> (BTW, by "custom PHP CGI" do you mean your own custom
> engine ?)

It is included but I download the source myself (as well as source for
any libraries I might want to install with it), compile using my own
options and then install in the CGI.  This is a custom CGI rather than
the one provided by default on the server.

> However, I'm really curious to know whether they'll allow
> you to install more "exotic" engines, such as Rev, Python, etc.
> And also curious to know what happens if your custom cgi
> crashes the server and all the other websites hosted on it...

Pair runs FreeBSD and as Richard already mentioned FreeBSD is a very
stable multi-user environment.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia