doing trial periods

Malte Brill malte.brill at t-online.de
Sat Apr 24 12:36:55 EDT 2004

Hi all,

björnke wrote:

>You could make an automated script that replaces the date in your
>standalone every day. Just look out, its binary data you're meddling
>with.

But that would lead to a new possible "trial period" with a new download or
copy of the standalone, wouldn´t it?

I prefer the cripple ware sheme. I´ve set up a registration number generator
that computes a registration number from a name and a keyword.

My app creates a preferences stack first if there isn´t already on the HD.
Some custom properties are set. The User needs to enter 3 fields correctly
to unlock the program.
The app. stores the registration data, a hint that the program is registred
and the path to the preferences file in the preferences stack (all stored in
custom properties). I check the path to the prefs stack on openstack and if
it has been moved on the HD it automatically clears the registration data
and asks the user to reenter it.
The registration check is in the stack embedded in the executable and that
script is password protected before compile. Even though I know that serious
hackers would laugh on my registration concept I´m quite happy with it.

If you are interested in a demo registration number creator stack I could
post one after the weekend.

My 2 cent.

Regards,

Malte