International woes

Friedrich F. Grohmann shedrup at ms9.hinet.net
Sat Apr 24 12:00:19 EDT 2004

Christopher Mitchell wrote:

>It depends on how the app implements text services, and I'm not
>thinking most implement it in a useful way.  Mellel's engine is, if I
>recall right from support responses, not using Apple's, but I would
>guess that Apple Mail is.  I really don't know, but it is frustrating.

Thanks for your comments. To return to Revolution, as I mentioned, the
situation under OS X has improved quite a bit compared to what happens
with Rev 2.1 and OS 9. With this constellation, it _is_ possible to
specify a Devanagari font for a field and it _is_ possible to choose the
right keyboard. What you get, though, is Roman script.

Should you then switch to the OtaniUS keyboard (which is actually used
for Tibetan) Revolution will, astonishingly enough, begin to produce
Devanagari but how the keys and the produced character are supposed to
correspond is beyond me. For any practical work, the result is absolutely
useless. As you put it so well, the situation is frustrating.

Fritz