installing fonts

Chris Sheffield revlist at cableone.net
Fri Apr 23 11:33:34 EDT 2004

How can I install fonts on a user's machine?  On Windows, I'm assuming I can
just copy my .ttf file to the fonts folder.  Does it need to be registered
with the system somehow, or does just copying the file take care of it?  Is
a restart required?

On Mac OS 9 I'm assuming I just copy the font suitcase to the Fonts folder
in the system folder.  Is a restart required?

And I'm not sure what to do for OS X.  Again, I'm assuming I should copy the
font to the Fonts folder, but how do I actually install or register it.  Or
do you just have to restart the computer?  Maybe an Applescript of some
kind?

If anyone has experience with this, I would appreciate it.  I'm actually
using an installer for my program that's built with Rev, so I need to know
the best way to install fonts.

Thanks,

Chris Sheffield
Software Development